This qualification reflects the role of individuals working as developing and emerging leaders and managers in a range of enterprise and industry contexts.
As well as assuming responsibility for their own performance, individuals at this level provide leadership, guidance and support to others. They also have some responsibility for organising and monitoring the output of their team.
They apply solutions to a defined range of predictable and unpredictable problems and analyse and evaluate information from a variety of sources.
- Leading Hand
- Team Leader
Those that would benefit from this course would be:
- People who have been promoted to a team leader, supervisory or management position
- People with technical or vocational experience who would like to start or progress their career in leading others
- People who already work in roles such as Frontline Managers, Leading Hands, Supervisors, Team Leaders or Managers who would like to gain a formal management qualification
Participants receive comprehensive learning materials and trainer support. Presented using a combination of in-class and external study or external only with an immediate start.
BSB40520 Certificate IV in Leadership and Management is a foundation program focusing on the skills required to lead and manage people and teams. This program provides emerging leaders with the skills, tools and knowledge to help them make the transition into leaders of others.
Participants in this program learn how to provide leadership and guidance to others in the workplace and to manage effective, motivated, high performing teams in all types of organisations and industries.
At the end of this course, participants will gain further knowledge and skills in:
- Communicating effectively as a workplace leader;
- Develop teams and work priorities
- Implementing an operational plan;
- Identify and apply risk management;
- Leading effective workplace relationships;
- Reviewing and improving team performance
- Leading and developing an effective team and individuals;
- Supervising team performance; and
- Coordinating business resources.
Those with a good understanding of leadership and management; or those persons who want to extend their knowledge and experience in the field of leadership in the context of their current employment or to improve future employment opportunities through formal qualifications.
This qualification is about providing the fundamental knowledge and skills needed to undertake job roles such as Team Leaders and Supervisors. This also relates to experienced Team Leaders and Supervisors with Qualifications and skills obtained through other sources of employment or training; such as the Police Force, Corrections and Defence. They may choose to formalise their experience by attaining this Qualification through Recognition of Prior Learning or Current Competency.
This will be suited to the following job roles:
- Project Officer
- Team Leader
- Leading Hand
Pathways into the qualification
Preferred pathways for candidates considering this qualification include:
- BSB30115 Certificate III in Business or other relevant qualifications, or
- with vocational experience in a supervisory role but no formal qualification
Suggested pathways for further study after completion of this qualification include:
- BSB41419 Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety;
- CPP40719 Certificate IV in Security Management;
- BSB40120 Certificate IV in Business;
- BSB51915 Diploma of Leadership and Management;
- BSB50615 Diploma of Human Resources Management; or
- BSB50215 Diploma of Business
- Must live in and have a Western Australian residential address.
- Applicants must demonstrate good language, literacy and numeracy required at this level. A LLN assessment may be conducted at pre-enrolment to assess whether the applicant requires LLN support for this training
- Participants may choose to undertake an LLN assessment with one of our qualified assessors prior to committing to their enrolment in this qualification
- Basic to intermediate computer skills are also required for entry into this qualification.
- 100 points of identification
- Recommended to have completed a Certificate III in a similar qualification with leadership units of competency.
USI Number Requirements:
All students doing nationally recognised training from January 1, 2018 need to have a Unique Student Identifier (USI). For more details and to create a USI go to the Government USI site here.
The five-day training course has been developed for learners who have at least 12 months of industry experience within coordinator, supervisor, leading hand or team leader roles over the period of their work history.
The concept of this course is to confirm the experience, skills and knowledge of learners, whilst using assessment tools to provide evidence of that experience. The information and assessments provided will build on their current knowledge and skills to demonstrate competency in this training package.
We acknowledge that not all information will be retained immediately and therefore the workplace project is required to be submitted prior to being deemed as competent for the course.
The workplace project will bring your existing and newly acquired skills and knowledge together and implement this into your current work practices.
Nominal training hours for this Qualification equal to 425 hours, which is broken down into 128 hours of supervised instruction and 297 hours of unsupervised activities in the development of a Workplace Operational Plan
We understand that you may lead a high stress and fast-paced life regardless of the industry you are currently in, so this course is delivered and completed by two methods; face to face of one day per week and a self-paced development of a final project throughout the course.
A training and assessment diary may be completed at enrolment or on completion of the face to face delivery phase to ensure that you are staying on track with your course completion. The point being, you complete your much-needed qualification regardless of current circumstance or time restraints from where ever you are in Australia. You may also be eligible for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL).
You will have access to our highly qualified industry experienced Trainer who can provide you with guidance to assist you with completion timeframes for each unit to suit your study goals! You also have access to the trainer throughout your study period to answer any questions you may have or help you overcome any stumbling blocks you may encounter.
By participating in this course you challenge yourself to grow professionally. Investing in yourself and taking time to learn, practice and implement this knowledge will change your career and create more job opportunities.
The course is presented via a combination of structured tutorials, workshops, case studies, video, practical assignments and workplace application. Individual and group work activities and assessment activities are conducted throughout the course.
All trainers and assessors are recognised industry experts, holding relevant experience and training qualifications. They include security industry specialists, former serving police officers, military personnel and emergency response and medical specialists.
Contact us to discuss any changes to the training delivery of units.